TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – Alabama baseball suffered its first loss of the 2021 season, falling to the UT-Martin Skyhawks by a score of 9-4 on Wednesday afternoon at Sewell-Thomas Stadium. The loss moves UA to 4-1 on the young season.
The Tide got out front 3-0 in the fourth, but UT-Martin chipped away with one run apiece in the fifth and sixth before adding two in the seventh to take a lead. Alabama came right back with one run in the home half of the seventh to even it at 4-4, but a three-run eighth and a pair of runs in the ninth from the Skyhawks proved too much for the Crimson Tide.
UT-Martin reliever Sam Folks (1-0) got the win while Ryan Insco closed things out for the Skyhawks to pick up his first save of the season. Eli Giles (0-1) suffered the loss for UA.
Alabama received a solid outing from starter Connor Shamblin. The junior tossed 4.0 innings of scoreless baseball, allowing just two hits while striking out three. The Crimson Tide was led at the plate by William Hamiter and Owen Diodati, who each posted two hits on the day.
From Head Coach Brad Bohannon
“This was a disappointing day at the ballpark. We didn’t really do well enough in any part of the game to get the win – we didn’t pitch well enough, didn’t hit well enough. We have to leave this one at the park. We’re lucky to be 4-1, could easily be 3-2 or 2-3, so we’ll have a great practice tomorrow and get prepared for Wright State this weekend.”
How It Happened
- B4 | Sam Praytor led off the inning with a double and was joined on base by Zane Denton, who drew a walk. Following a UT-Martin pitching change, William Hamiter singled to right-center to bring in Praytor and put runners at the corners. One out later, Jim Jarvis singled through the left side to score one more. A passed ball in the next at-bat allowed Hamiter to come in from third and cap the inning’s scoring at three. (3-0, Alabama)
- T5 | A high chopper on the infield with the bases loaded brought in one run for Skyhawks. (3-1, Alabama)
- T6 | With a runner at third, a 4-3 groundout plated the second run of the afternoon for UT-Martin and narrowed the gap to one. (3-2, Alabama)
- T7 | UT-Martin took the lead thanks to a two-out, two-RBI double. (4-3, UT-Martin)
- B7 | Things evened up at four apiece thanks to Drew Williamson’s RBI-single with two down. Williamson brought in Owen Diodati, who tripled one at-bat earlier. (4-4)
- T8 | A leadoff walk turned into a pair of runs for UTM when the next batter sent a home run over the wall in left. The Skyhawks then used a solo shot to add to the lead. (7-4, UT-Martin)
- T9 | The Skyhawks began the inning with a double followed by a triple to score a run. One out later, a lineout followed by a Tide miscue allowed one more to score. (9-4, UT-Martin)
- The Crimson Tide’s February winning streak came to an end at 18 games.
- Brayden Rowe made his Alabama debut.
- Jake Eddington saw his first action as a member of the Crimson Tide.
- Eli Giles came in for his first collegiate appearance.
- Owen Diodati went 2-for-3 to move his hitting streak to seven games. Diodati is batting .375 (9-24) with a double, one triple, three home runs, 11 RBI, nine runs, six walks, two hit-by-pitch and a stolen base across that time.
- Zane Denton’s hitting streak came to an end at six games. Over that stretch, the sophomore batted .526 (10-19) with a double, one triple, two home runs, five RBI, five runs scored and a walk.
- ATTENDANCE: 1,701
Alabama stays in Tuscaloosa for the weekend as the Crimson Tide welcomes the Wright State Raiders to Sewell-Thomas Stadium for a three-game stretch. The two teams are set to begin the series on Friday at 3 p.m. CT. Game two on Saturday is set for a 2 p.m. start with the series finale on Sunday scheduled for a 1 p.m. first pitch. All three matchups will air live on SEC Network+.
Get all the latest information on the team by following @AlabmaBSB on Twitter and Instagram and on Facebook at Alabama Baseball. General athletic news can be found at UA_Athletics on Twitter and Instagram and AlabamaAthletics on Facebook.