TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – Alabama football’s John Metchie III and Brian Robinson Jr. have been named to the 2021 Maxwell Award Watch List, the Maxwell Football Club of Philadelphia announced on Monday.
Metchie and Robinson are among 80 players from around the country named to the preseason list. Alabama has had four Maxwell winners in the program history, all of which have come in the last eight seasons. DeVonta Smith was the Crimson Tide’s most-recent winner, earning the honors in 2020 as part of a decorated senior season. Prior to Smith, Tua Tagovailoa was recognized with the award in 2018, joining record-setting running back Derrick Henry (2015) and former All-American AJ McCarron (2013) as the Crimson Tide’s other winners in program history.
JOHN METCHIE III
Wide Receiver, Junior
- Steps into the Tide’s No. 1 receiver role for his junior season after a solid 2020 campaign
- Totaled 916 yards and six touchdowns on 55 catches as a sophomore
- Averaged 16.7 yards per catch to rank seventh in the SEC
- Converted a first down or found his way into the end zone on 35 of his receptions in 2020
- Played in 13 games as a freshman, accumulating 23 yards on his four receptions that season
BRIAN ROBINSON JR.
Running Back, Redshirt Senior
- Steps into the starting running back role for his final season with the Crimson Tide in 2021
- Played in 52 career games, including every game each of the last three seasons
- Racked up 1,361 yards and 15 touchdowns on 274 career carries to average 5.0 yards per tote
- Added 17 receptions for 150 yards, all of which have come across the last two seasons
- Totaled 483 yards and six touchdowns on 91 carries while adding six receptions for 26 yards as a senior to rank second among Tide running backs
The Maxwell Award has been presented annually since 1937 by the Maxwell Football Club of Philadelphia to recognize the top player in college football. The award is named in honor of former college player, official and sports columnist Robert Maxwell. The 2021 winner will be announced at the ESPN Home Depot College Football Awards Show held at the College Football Hall of Fame in early December.
Get all the latest information on the team by following @AlabamaFTBL on Twitter and Facebook and AlabamaFBL on Instagram. General athletic news can also be found at UA_Athletics on Twitter and Instagram and AlabamaAthletics on Facebook.