TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – Alabama senior Wilson Furr and sophomore Canon Claycomb have been named to the 2020-21 Preseason Fred Haskins Award Watch List, which was announced by the Golf Channel on Thursday morning.
Both Furr and Claycomb are coming off outstanding summer performances after leading UA on the course last spring.
- Averaged 72.33 strokes per round last season on his way to earning PING All-Region honors
- Closed his summer in grand fashion after winning the stroke play portion of the 2020 U.S. Amateur Championship
- With that victory, the Jackson, Miss., native became the second Crimson Tide men’s golfer in program history to win the stroke play championship at the U.S. Amateur, finishing with a 36-hole score of 11-under par 132 (70-62)
- His total included a second-round score of 9-under par 62 which set the Bandon Trails competitive course record and was the second-best single round score in a U.S. Amateur and United States Golf Association (USGA) history
- Burst onto the season last spring as a true freshman, averaging a team-leading 70.17 strokes per round
- Across the two tournaments he played before the season was cut short, the Bowling Green, Ky., native finished below par and finished inside the top-15 in both with five of his six total rounds at par or better
- Continued his outstanding play over the summer, claiming the 2020 Rice Planters Invitational, finishing the event at 12-under par 204 (68-68-68)
The Haskins Award is the oldest college golf award (dating back to 1971) and is the only award that is voted on by players, coaches, sports information directors and select golf media – there is no committee that makes this decision. Voting will open at the end of the NCAA Regionals and run through the end of the NCAA Tournament.
The Crimson Tide will open the season in the Blessings Golf Invitational presented by Tyson Foods, which will be held Oct. 5-7 at the Blessings Golf Club in Fayetteville, Ark.
Get all the latest information on the team by following @AlabamaMGolf, on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. General athletic news can also be found at UA_Athletics on Twitter and Instagram and AlabamaAthletics on Facebook.