TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – Alabama football’s Devonta Smith and Jaylen Waddle have been named to the 2020 Biletnikoff Award Watch List announced today by the Tallahassee (Fla.) Quarterback Club.
Smith and Waddle are among 55 candidates from around the country named to the preseason list for the award recognizing the nation’s top pass-catcher. Alabama has had two Biletnikoff winners in program history. Amari Cooper is the Crimson Tide’s first winner, earning the distinction in 2014. Cooper was followed by Jerry Jeudy, who brought home the award in 2018.
Wide Receiver, Senior
- Returns for his senior season, providing the Crimson Tide offense with one of the top big-play threats in all of college football
- Played in 41 career games with 21 starts to his name
- Accumulated 2,109 yards and 23 touchdowns on 118 catches in three seasons
- Averaging 17.9 yards per catch for his career to rank second all-time at Alabama
- Led the Tide in receiving yards as a junior with 1,256, a total that ranked third in the SEC and tied for eighth in the country
- Added 14 receiving scores to rank third in the conference and tied for fifth nationally in 2019
Wide Receiver/Return Specialist, Junior
- Dangerous wideout and returner who is a threat to score every time he has the ball in his hands
- Started six games and played in 28 total during his two seasons at the Capstone
- Accumulated 1,408 yards and 13 touchdowns on 78 catches at wideout for his career
- Added 720 yards and two scores for an average of 20.0 yards per return in the punt game
- Earned first team All-America honors and was named the SEC Special Teams Player of the Year as a sophomore
- Led the nation and shattered the former Alabama single-season mark for punt return average at 24.4 yards per return with 20 for 487 yards and a score a year ago
- Also assumed kickoff returner duties late last season, racking up 175 yards and a touchdown on just five returns
- Totaled 1,227 all-purpose yards as a sophomore, contributing 560 yards receiving and five yards rushing to go with his kick and punt return totals
The Biletnikoff Award has been presented annually since 1994 by the Tallahassee Quarterback Club to recognize the top pass-catcher in college football. The award is named in honor of former Florida State and Oakland Raiders receiver Fred Biletnikoff. The 2020 winner will be announced at the ESPN Home Depot College Football Awards Show in December.
Get all the latest information on the team by following @AlabamaFTBL on Twitter and Facebook and AlabamaFBL on Instagram. General athletic news can also be found at UA_Athletics on Twitter and Instagram and AlabamaAthletics on Facebook.